Sunday, February 7, 2010

"Popeye"

Well I've had one of these in my head for quite awhile and when this one popped up I couldn't pass. It's a 1950 Chevrolet 3100 (1/2 ton) short wheel base built in Baltimore in May 1950. It has a clean title and good trim tag (getting to be a rare occurence on these barn finds).

The Sportster build is almost done, the tins are at the bodyshop being painted right now. Unfortunately it will have to be sacrified to make room for this new obsession. I justify my short attention span by realizing that a motorcyle can only be enjoyed by me and only on select days. An old pickup can be enjoyed with the whole family any day and will be lots of fun. So here we are. It will have to be set aside for awhile until the new baby comes and the bike is finished and sold but I will get built.

My plans are to go with the "R" word theme which is "Rat Rod" for those unaquainted with the style. The term is being overused and kind of gets under peoples skin including mine so I won't use it again. But the style is original paint, anything goes looks but functional and COOL. This truck is a perfect candidate because it has a nice original patina which is also hard to find and can't be recreated. Right down to the old rusty, torn in 1/2, Kansas licence plate from 30 years ago clinging to the tailgate.

I plan to fully build the chassis including a Mustang II IFS with rack and pinion steering, 4-link rear, 10-bolt differential with air bags. The drivetrain in my head right now is a 5.3L Vortec from a 2002 Silverado complete with fuel injection and possibly an NV3500 5-speed transmission to replace the original 216 inline and 3 speed Saginaw. Power disc / drum brakes will provide the stopping power.
The interior will be freshened up including rubber, glass, gauges and wiring. The exterior will retain it's looks except maybe some small rust repairs and a clean, painted engine bay. I'm thinking of adding some Marina blue metalflake paint on the dash, wheels and firewall. Of course the whole truck begs for some nice pinstriping and/or vintage style lettering. It will roll on steel wheels and wide white wall tires.

The name "Popeye" comes from my Grandpa, he was short and had huge forearms so people called him Popeye. He also liked these trucks and I can remember him telling me he wished I had one. So here's to My Grandpa.




Here is a good example of my vision:





































No comments:

Post a Comment